This micro-credential is awarded to individuals who have completed the Autism and Visual Impairment: The Better Together Curriculum online class. This online course provides theoretical and practical information for teaching social communication skills to students with visual impairment and autism
In order to earn this micro-credential, participants will need to demonstrate the ability to identify the appropriate methods to use to assess, diagnose, and instruct students with visual impairments and autism.
- Use 3 different criterion-referenced tools to evaluate and select teaching objectives for students with visual impairment and atypical social development.
- Demonstrate and practice a repertoire of unit-based activities for teaching social communication skills to students with visual impairment and atypical social development.
- Give examples of skills in each of four domains in the Better Together curriculum: Social interaction, Communication, Social Cognition, and Emotional Development.
- Explain the importance of engagement and relationship-building in teaching students who have visual impairment and atypical social development or autism.
- Describe and practice effective strategies for building relationships with students who have visual impairment and atypical social development/autism.
- Write and document progress on observable and measurable relationship-based objectives for students who have visual impairment and atypical social development/autism.
- Assess the effectiveness of teaching strategies and adjust as needed to facilitate student growth.