Update 11/26/23 Registration is now open! Sign up now – these free courses begin October 10!
Project INSPIRE is recruiting for fall 2023 Nemeth Code within UEB contexts and UEB math/science courses. Courses will begin on Tuesday, October 10, 2023.
Project INSPIRE is offering the opportunity for you to take one of the courses. Please note that Courses 1-6 focus on the Nemeth Code, and Course 7 focuses on UEB Math/Science!
What is Project INSPIRE?
Project INSPIRE is a 5 year training grant to support braille literacy for professionals and students to build their skills and knowledge in the braille codes for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) courses.
What courses are being offered at no cost?
- Course 1: Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts and Strategies for Supporting the PreK-1st Grade Student in Building Math Skills
- Course 2: An Introduction to Nemeth Code Symbols Used in Grades 2 to 5 and Strategies for Supporting Elementary Students inBuilding Math Skills
- Course 3: Grades 2 to 5: Nemeth Code Symbols for Fractions and Spatial Problems, Instructional Tools, Materials and Technology
- Course 4: Geometry and Tactile Graphics for Students in Grades 3 to 8
- Course 5: Nemeth Code Symbols Used in the Middle Grades and Strategies for Supporting Math Learning
- Course 6: Nemeth Code Symbols Used in High School and Strategies for Supporting Math Learning
- Course 7: An Introduction to UEB Math/Science for Pre-Kindergarten-1st Grade Students and Strategies for Supporting Math Learning
Who are the target groups for the courses?
- Teachers of students with visual impairments
- Paraprofessionals who support braille readers
- Individuals who are preparing braille materials
- University students preparing to become TSVIs
How are the courses structured?
Participants will: (a) complete a pre-test, (b) complete 7 self-paced lessons, and (c) complete a post-test.
What are the logistics of the courses?
- Dates: October 10, 2023 to November 17, 2023
- Delivery Model: All materials will be online. There will be an optional assignment with an answer key.
- Time Commitment: 12 to 15 hours
- You may only enroll in one course.
- If you complete all course activities and earn 80% or higher on the posttest, you will receive a certificate.
How can I learn more and sign up for a course?
Please complete the sign up form.
You will then receive additional information the morning of October 10, 2023. For more information or with questions email: [email protected] or call 864-503-5572
Project INSPIRE Website Facebook: Project Inspire: Increasing STEM Braille Potential
Project INSPIRE flier