Pages from the 1833-1880 Perkins Scrapbook

Digitized Perkins Institution scrapbooks

Collection of scrapbooks of clippings with articles about Perkins Institution, now Perkins School for the Blind, spanning 1833-1957.


Our goal is provide resources that are accessible to all

The “Perkins Institution” scrapbooks have been digitized and made available on the Internet Archive website, which utilizes optical character recognition (OCR) and downloadable file formats, including Daisy, to provide access to users who are blind and visually impaired. We acknowledge that OCR is prone to errors, and cannot recognize graphics or handwritten text, thus creating barriers to these materials. It is our intention that by providing the materials as is, the resource is findable online to all. If any of Perkins Archives resources accessed online aren’t accessible in part or in whole, to a user because of a disability, we will create an accessible version upon request. 

Perkins Institution scrapbooks on the Internet Archive

Links to scrapbooks are arranged by volume followed by years, earliest to latest. There are 50 volumes total spanning 1833-1957.

The school was named the New England Institution for the Education of the Blind from 1832-1839, Perkins Institution and Massachusetts Asylum for the Blind from 1839-1877, Perkins Institution and Massachusetts School for the Blind from 1877-1955, and Perkins School for the Blind from 1955 until today.

Portrait of Lady Campbell. In three-quarter profile with hair parted down the middle and braided in the back. Wearing a dress with lace collar and dark lacy shawl.

Lady Campbell

Portrait of Emile Pierre Trencheri, 1832.

Emile Trencheri

Edward Kennedy, facing the camera, shaking Richard C. Carlson's hand. Carlson's back is to the camera.

Edward M. Kennedy’s 1988 Perkins Graduation Speech