The UDID project, an initiative of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disability (DEPWD), Government of India, aims to build holistic end-to-end integrated systems for issuing disability certificates and Universal IDs. This acts as a feeder for the National database data of persons with disability.
What are the Advantages?
The UDID holds all information of a person in one place and can be considered as a single access point.
- Captures detailed information about an individual (such as Aadhar number, date of birth) in a single document.
- The card is in the form of a standard credit card size which can easily fit in one’s wallet; convenient for the individual with disability or the family members to carry.
- Pan India unique ID for persons with disability (Divyangjans); (Not required to carry multiple and lengthy documents from various states).
- Linked with Digi locker for easy access to information; (Information easily accessible and easy to update), and can be decoded with the help of a reader.
- Verification and authentication of Divyangjans- with UDID Card, easy to track the physical and financial progress of an individual at various levels (like village, district, state level)
- Potential to link with direct benefit transfer for various government schemes (Aids and assistance will be delivered in transparent manner).
- Useful for road transport and linked with IRCTC for reservations.
- Easy to identify the extent of person’s disability. A person with less than 40% disability would have a card with a white stripe, 40 to 80% would have a card with yellow stripe and above 80% card with a blue stripe.
The process to access services
The UDID portal is designed to provide an online platform for the following:
- New application for UDID
- Renewal of existing Certificate/Card on expiration of validity
- In the event of loss of card/certificate
The link to the application can be found here.
Online form for the UDID card consists of the following sections:
- Personal Details
- Disability Details
- Employment Details
- Identity Details
- Required Aadhar card and 2 Photos for online registration
Perkins India support
Perkins India through implementation of Project IDI – (identification and intervention) reaches out to children with MDVI and other disabilities through door-to-door screening in Lucknow, Sitapur, Mathura and Agra in Uttar Pradesh. The Project IDI team under the guidance of Perkins India provides extensive support from documentation to educational interventions to all identified beneficiaries in the age group of 0 – 19 years.
Project team comprises of CBR workers, special educators, and project officers who support family members in guidance and counseling for the need and importance of proper documentation, along with online registration, facilitation in disability certification camps, and clinical assessments of disabilities, which is helpful in availing UDID and disability certificates and linking with availing benefits.