In 1833, Thomas Handasyd Perkins donated his Pearl Street mansion in Boston as a home for the school, and, in 1839, agreed to sell it so the South Boston campus could be purchased. The school has honored his generosity by bearing his name ever since.

Many campus buildings are named for people who have been an important part of Perkins history. This display introduces some of them and explains how they contributed to the school.

Howe Building

Perkins’ main building, with its soaring tower crowned by a symbolic lantern of education, is named after the school’s first director, Samuel Gridley Howe.

West Side Cottages

East Side Cottages

Lower School

Other campus buildings

Other locations

Suggested citation for scholars

McGinnity, B.L., Seymour-Ford, J. and Andries, K.J. (2004) Campus Place Names. Perkins History Museum, Perkins School for the Blind, Watertown, MA.