Perkins School for the Blind
A collection of Library Bulletins, Library Reports, Museum Reports, lectures, and other documents created by Nelson Coon when he served as the Librarian and Museum Director at Perkins School for the Blind between 1931 and 1962. Related documents from before, and following, Coon’s time at Perkins are also included.
Susanna Coit, 2018
Nelson Coon was born on March 26, 1895 in Rhinebeck, New York. He attended Union College in Schenectady, New York. He worked as a horticulturist before enrolling in the United States Army in 1917, and was discharged December 12, 1918. Coon and his wife came to work for Perkins in 1931. Coon began his time at Perkins as the superintendent of buildings and grounds for 18 years before becoming the librarian and museum curator in 1949. He gave many lectures while serving as the librarian and museum director on topics related to blindness and the tactual museum. He also has many publications about Perkins history, prominent figures in blindness history and the education of the blind. After 30 years at Perkins, he retired in 1961 and moved to Martha’s Vineyard where he was an active member of the community until his death on January 10, 1988.
1989 Perkins Newsletter
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Perkins School for the Blind, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
This collection contains records and documents from Nelson Coon’s work in the Library and Museum at Perkins School for the Blind. It includes Library Reports, Library statistics and administrative information, Library Bulletins, as well as lectures given by Coon. Some reports prior to, and following, Coon’s time as Librarian are included in the collection. The collection includes one photograph.
The collection is arranged in one series, by type of document. When possible, items are arranged chronologically.
B1:F1 = Box 1: Folder 1
B1:F1: Photograph of Nelson Coon as a child, about 1900
B1:F2: Maps and Geography Material, 1955-1956, undated
B1:F3: Lower School Re-Cataloging, 1960
B1:F4: Reports to Director from N. Coon, 1924-1954
B1:F5: Reading list for Teacher Trainees, undated
B1:F6: Library Reports, 1907-1919
B1:F7: Library Reports, 1919-1949
B1:F8: Library statistics, financial reports, 1909-1924
B1:F9: Library Bulletin 1-17, 1949-1950
B1:F10: Library Bulletin 18-53, 1951-1955
B1:F11: Lecture - Moon Type, 1949-1954
B1:F12: Lecture - Libraries, 1952-1954
B1:F13: Lecture - Blind in Society, 1952-1955
B2:F1: Museum Reports, 1939-1964
B2:F2: Museum Reports, undated
B2:F3: Library of Congress correspondence and reports, 1956-1959
B2:F4: A brief history of guide dogs for the blind - drafts, 1958-1959
B2:F5: The Seeing Eye, Inc. correspondence, 1958-1959
B2:F6: Lecture - Museum, undated
B2:F7: Lecture - Perkins, undated
B2:F8: Lecture - Perkins, undated
B2:F9: Lecture - Smell, undated
B2:F10: Lecture - Types, undated
B2:F11: Lecture - Bells, undated
B2:F12: Museum, 1962, undated
B2:F13: Nelson Coon, 1960, 1962
B2:F14: Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults, August 21, 1967
B2:F15: List of Deaf-Blind Children in New England, September 1, 1971
B2:F16: Circulation List
B2:F17: Library Administration, 1960-1970
B2:F18: Microfilms, Photostats, Xerox Prints, 1959-1961
B2:F19: List of reformatted movies from Perkins collection, ca. 1987
Perkins School for the Blind.
Perkins School for the Blind--History.