Guild of St John of Beverley Pamphlet Collection

Samuel P. Hayes Research Library
Perkins School for the Blind
175 N. Beacon Street
Watertown, MA 02472

Creator: 

Perkins School for the Blind

Date Range: 
1931-1960, bulk 1937
Call number: 
AG26
Abstract: 

This collection consists of annual reports, pamphlets, and leaflets distributed by the Guild of St. John of Beverley for the Deaf. Topics include community and social inclusion of people who are deaf as well as general information about people who are deaf. It was originally part of the Perkins Research Library Collection.

Extent: 
.25, 1 manuscript box
Language: 
English
Processed by: 

Jen Hale, 2017; Susanna Coit, 2017

Biographical/Historical notes: 

The Guild of St. John of Beverley for the Deaf is a charitable foundation that aims “to help deaf people and people with hearing difficulties in Kent.” It was originally called “The Hastingleigh and Elmsted Branch of the Canterbury Diocesan Association for the Deaf” before the name was changed in 1961.

Sources of information: 

Guild of St. John of Beverley for the Deaf." Guild of St. John of Beverley for the Deaf, Ashford. N.p., undated. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.

Restrictions: 
None
Credit line/Citation: 
Guild of St John of Beverley Pamphlet Collection, Perkins School for the Blind
Scope/Contents: 

This collection consists of two annual reports, pamphlets, and leaflets distributed by the Guide of St. John of Beverley for the Deaf between 1931 and 1960. The publications include information about integrating people who are deaf socially and physically in to their community. Some of the pamphlets also address conditions of people who are deaf. Topics also include information about the services that the organization provides. Formats include pamphlets, annual reports, leaflets, and magazine clippings.

Arrangement: 

2 Series, 1 box arranged chronologically
Series 1: Annual Reports, 1936, 1938
Series 2: Pamphlets and Publications, 1931-1960

Container List: 

Box: 1
Series 1: 

B1:F1: Annual Report, 1936
B1:F2: Annual reports, 1938

Series: 2 
B1:F3: The Guild of St. John of Beverley Deaf Library pamphlets, 1931
B1:F4: The Deaf-Blind article leaflet, 1934
B1:F5: With compliments from Mr. Selwyn Oxley, pamphlet, 1934
B1:F6: Why are the Deaf so Neglected? Leaflet, 1936
B1:F7: Teaching the Deaf leaflet, ca. 1937
B1:F8: Guild of St. John of Beverley, notice of change of address, 1937
B1:F9: Who Are the Deaf, pamphlet, ca. 1937
B1:F10: The House with the Queer Name! pamphlet, ca. 1937
B1:F11: Deaf, Not Dumb! Pamphlet, ca. 1937
B1:F12: In Answer to Questions re: The Deaf leaflets, ca. 1937
B1:F13: A plea for the Deaf article reprint, 1937
B1:F14: The Guild of St. John of Beverley pamphlets from Perkins Library Deafblind Collection, ca. 1937
B1:F15: The National Deaf Blind Helpers’ League pamphlets, ca. 1937
B1:F16: Beverley and its Minister, magazine clipping, 1960 [from Coming Events in Britain, May 1960 issue]

Provenance: 
This collection was originally part of the Perkins Research Library Collection. Call number 371.913
Subject Headings: 

Perkins School for the Blind.
Perkins School for the Blind--History.
Kent (England)—History.