Presenter: Ellen Cadigan Mazel, M.Ed., CTVI, Director of CVI Project, Perkins School for the Blind
CVI is the leading cause of visual impairment in children in the United States. Due to visual neuroplasticity, there is a possibility of improvement for children in the areas of visual attention and visual recognition, the key issues of CVI. This presentation will discuss diagnosis and assessment methods and appropriate strategies matched to assessment to foster this improvement. We will discuss the essential need for collaboration between medical professionals, parents, early intervention and school-based team members as it relates to diagnosis, assessment and interventions for optimal improvement.
Complimentary CVI Session
CVI Team at Perkins
Perkins' CVI Team is currently offering complimentary virtual sessions. This is not a CVI Assessment rather an opportunity to consult with our experts about your childs use of functional vision. By registering with us you will have the opportunity to reserve a future campus evaluation. For more information, please contact Susan Symons, CVI Case Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for CVI
CVI Early Connections Presentations about CVI:
- Marguerite Tibaudo: Building Concept Development: Accessibility for Children with Cortical/Cerebral Visual Impairment (CVI)
- Ellen Mazel: CVI: Expanding A Child’s Potential for Visual Improvement
CVI Web Resources:
- CVI Hub, Perkins School for the Blind:
This site has lots of resources if you do a search on “CVI”. There are opportunities for online classes, face to face classes, webcasts, webinars, Teachable Moments and articles.
- Webinars for CVI, Perkins School for the Blind:
- CVI Scotland:
- Dr. Gordon Dutton: Strategies and Visual Skills Inventories
- Brain Recovery Project:
This is information for students after brain surgery but great strategies and information for all kids with CVI here.
- American Printing House for the Blind:
CVI website for updates on materials, programs, and publications.
- American Foundation for the Blind:
- BBC Documentary: Not in Plain Sight:
- Nicola McDowell: Adult with undiagnosed CVI:
- Dr. Els Oribus, Teach CVI:
- Vision and the Brain: Understanding Cerebral Visual Impairment in Children
by Amanda Hall Lueck (Editor), Gordon N. Dutton (Editor) April 9, 2015
- Cortical Visual Impairment: An Approach to Assessment and Intervention
by Christine Roman-Lantzy provides an introduction to CVI.
Calendar Systems & Developing Concepts (not CVI specific):
- Object Schedule Systems, Marguerite (Bilms) Tibaudo:
- Concepts to Teach:
- Language Concepts:
- Active Learning Space:
- Lab of Visual Neuroplasticity, Lotfi Merabet:
Blogs and Podcasts:
- Start Seeing CVI:
- CVI Teacher, Ellen Mazel:
- Kaleidoscope, Jessica Marquardt: