Presenter: Marguerite Tibaudo, M.Ed. CTVI, Assistant Director of the CVI Project, Perkins School for the Blind
Building strong foundations for concept development is essential for all children. Due to limited visual access and the processing challenges caused by CVI, young children require strategic and purposeful interventions that support the child in creating strong concepts across all environments. This presentation will address the challenges caused by CVI in accessing and understanding visual saliency, provide strategies for support, with discussion on how to develop educational programming based on comprehensive evaluations that consider the implications of CVI on learning.
Complimentary CVI Session
CVI Team at Perkins
Perkins' CVI Team is currently offering complimentary virtual sessions. This is not a CVI Assessment rather an opportunity to consult with our experts about your childs use of functional vision. By registering with us you will have the opportunity to reserve a future campus evaluation. For more information, please contact Susan Symons, CVI Case Manager at email@example.com.
Resources for CVI
CVI Early Connections Presentations about CVI:
- Marguerite Tibaudo: Building Concept Development: Accessibility for Children with Cortical/Cerebral Visual Impairment (CVI)
- Ellen Mazel: CVI: Expanding A Child’s Potential for Visual Improvement
CVI Web Resources:
- CVI Hub, Perkins School for the Blind:
This site has lots of resources if you do a search on “CVI”. There are opportunities for online classes, face to face classes, webcasts, webinars, Teachable Moments and articles.
- Webinars for CVI, Perkins School for the Blind:
- CVI Scotland:
- Dr. Gordon Dutton: Strategies and Visual Skills Inventories
- Brain Recovery Project:
This is information for students after brain surgery but great strategies and information for all kids with CVI here.
- American Printing House for the Blind:
CVI website for updates on materials, programs, and publications.
- American Foundation for the Blind:
- BBC Documentary: Not in Plain Sight:
- Nicola McDowell: Adult with undiagnosed CVI:
- Dr. Els Oribus, Teach CVI:
- Vision and the Brain: Understanding Cerebral Visual Impairment in Children
by Amanda Hall Lueck (Editor), Gordon N. Dutton (Editor) April 9, 2015
- Cortical Visual Impairment: An Approach to Assessment and Intervention
by Christine Roman-Lantzy provides an introduction to CVI.
Calendar Systems & Developing Concepts (not CVI specific):
- Object Schedule Systems, Marguerite (Bilms) Tibaudo:
- Concepts to Teach:
- Language Concepts:
- Active Learning Space:
- Lab of Visual Neuroplasticity, Lotfi Merabet:
Blogs and Podcasts:
- Start Seeing CVI:
- CVI Teacher, Ellen Mazel:
- Kaleidoscope, Jessica Marquardt: