Research Library timeline

For most of its history, there was a single head librarian who presided over the circulating library of embossed books (later Perkins BTBL), the school library for the students (called for some time the Teachers’ Library, because the materials supported the curriculum), and the Special Reference Library.

Librarians

Sarah Elizabeth Lane, 1884-1911
Laura M. Sawyer, 1911-1924
Mary Esther Sawyer, 1924-1948
Nelson Coon, 1949-1960
Miller F. Cook, 1960-1961
Marilyn S. Kuiper, 1961-1964
Frank Lavine, 1964-1966
Billie Jean Ouellette, 1966-1970
Kenneth A. Stuckey is Research Librarian, 1968
Gisela Titman, 1970-?, Head Librarian – the Research and Regional
Libraries seem to be separate programs by this date.
Pat Kirk, ca. 1976-2002
Kim Charlson, ca. 2002-present

Research Librarians

Ken Stuckey, 1968-1998
June Tulikangas, ca. 1999-2000
Jan Seymour-Ford, 2001-2015
Jennifer Arnott, 2015-present

Events

1879
Library moves to a new building at South Boston campus. Includes circulating library services for readers who are blind throughout New England; first such service in U.S.
1880

Sarah Lane first appears as Librarian on staff list.

1881
Perkins organizes fund to print tactile books and distribute to libraries nationally.
1883

Commencement exercise includes essay, “Our Library” by Julia Burnham.

1888

Laura Sawyer hired as Clerk to Sarah Lane.

1892

p.7 – Alice M. Marshall begins as Assistant.

1902

Laura Sawyer’s position is upgraded to Librarian; now two librarians on staff.

1911

Elizabeth Lane retires; Laura Sawyer becomes Librarian.

1924

Brief report of library holdings & activities in Annual Report, written by Laura Sawyer.

1924

Laura M. Sawyer dies.

1925

Mary Esther Sawyer becomes Librarian.

1931

Ruth M. Knapp is identified as Reference Librarian. Description in Annual Report of three collections of the library.

1943

Marion A. Woodworth replaces Knapp as Reference Librarian.

1948

Julia Edelstein replaces Woodworth as Reference Librarian.

1949

Nelson Coon becomes Librarian. He was superintendent of buildings & grounds for 18 years, and for 10 years in charge of museum. He retains his direction of the museum.

1958

p56-61 – Librarian’s Report features history.

1965

Kenneth A. Stuckey joins as Assistant Librarian.

1967

New library inhabited Sept. 66, dedicated Nov. 7th.

1968

Ken Stuckey is first identified as Research Librarian.

1979

148th A.R. is the first in which staff for the Regional Library is listed separately from the Research Library. However, they’ve been in separate quarters since 1967.