Adult Sign Language Classes
Adult sign language classes at Perkins are offered twice a year, during the fall and spring. All classes are taught in Signed English and meet once a week for two hours. Classes begin mid-September and late January. The adult sign language classes are open to the community and anyone age 16 or over may register for a class. All classes are taught in Signed English.
Tuition is $100 for a 10-week class. In collaboration with the Deafblind Program, the Spring 2013 Adult Sign Language Classes will begin January 28, 2013. Each class will be conducted by experienced Sign Language instructors and will be held in the Hilton Building at Perkins in Watertown.
You can call 617-924-3444 for more information. Thank you.
**We currently have no more spaces open**
The Upcoming Sign Language Schedule will include:
|Monday, 6:30 p.m.—8:30 p.m.
|Wednesday, 10 a.m.—Noon
|Tuesday, 10:00 a.m.—Noon
|Tuesday, 3:30 p.m.—5:30 p.m.
Signed English: large group class conducted in voice and sign language with a strong emphasis on expressive skills.
- Approximately 500 word basic vocabulary
- The manual alphabet
- Numbers 1-20
- Ability to read and fingerspell words up to 5 letters at a slow pace
- Ability to expressively communicate in sign language and fingerspelling a short story up to 5 sentences.
- Ability to obtain the main idea from a signed sequence of 3-4 sentences.
Signed English: large group class conducted in voice and sign language with a strong emphasis on receptive skills.
- Approximately (additional) 500 word vocabulary
- Fluency with the manual alphabet
- Numbers 1-100
- Ability to fingerspell words comfortably
- Ability to expressively communicate a paragraph in sign language and fingerspelling
- Ability to obtain the main idea from a signed story and answer specific questions about the story
Prerequisites: Successful completion of Level One or equivalent