Last updated July 2012
About the Information We Collect
Visitors to our site are sometimes asked to share personal information: when Giving Online, purchasing from our Online Store, registering for an event, joining our Advocacy Network, or completing various feedback forms. Information collected is specifically and knowingly provided by site visitors and may include name, email address, format preference (HTML vs. text), address, telephone number, interests and other similar information. Collecting this information helps Perkins better provide site visitors with relevant and useful content.
Perkins does not store sensitive information from our visitors, such as credit card numbers. When an online donation or purchase is completed, credit card information is used solely for the purpose of completing that specific transaction and is not retained in our database.
We collect an IP address from all visitors to our site. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the internet. We may use IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our site, analyze trends, track users' movement, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in order for us to improve the site and deliver customized, personalized content. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
Visitors to the Perkins website are invited to sign up to receive information on news, services or products that might be of interest. We also collect the email addresses of those who communicate with us by email. Inquiries may be forwarded to the appropriate Perkins department for response and may be entered into our constituent database. We may send a one-time email inviting these inquirers to visit our site or become more involved with Perkins. Details on how to correct, change or remove subscription information from our email lists are provided in the text of each email distribution to the subscriber.
We limit the use of the information you provide to us to the following:
- If you provide contact information, we enter your name into our constituent database and contact you in order to:
- o Supply you with information including related news, Perkins programs and events.
o Request voluntary time or monetary contributions to Perkins School for the Blind.
o Seek completion of voluntary surveys seeking feedback for quality and service improvement purposes.
- From time to time, Perkins allows other worthy organizations to mail to our donors. We carefully screen these organizations and only permit mailings from those whose services may be of interest to our supporters. If you prefer we do not share your information, or if you would like to change the frequency or types of communications you receive from us, you may do so by calling 617-972-7667 or emailing us at email@example.com and we will be pleased to respect your wishes. We do not share email addresses.
- We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf. We only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service and we prohibit them from using that information for any other purpose.
- We recognize that you may wish to limit the ways in which we contact you so we provide the following options for restricting internal and external sharing of your contact information:
- 1. Do not contact me by telephone.
2. Do not contact me by postal mail.
3. Do not contact me by email.
4. Do not share my contact information with other organizations.
5. Do not contact me for fundraising purposes.
6. Limit your contact with me to semi-annual mailings only.
7. Do not contact me or share my information with anyone.
Feel free to contact us to notify us of any desired restrictions. If you do not wish to opt out at this time, you may do so at a later date. If you are not currently receiving information from the Perkins School for the Blind and would like to, please contact us to indicate your preferences.
Cookies may be used to enhance your experience of our site. Cookies are pieces of information that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as remembering your customized settings for viewing our site and saving your password.
The "help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of this site's features, and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
All credit card and personal profile information provided to Perkins is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that allows a browser to automatically encrypt or scramble data before it is sent. We also protect account information by storing it on a secure portion of our site that is only accessible by certain Perkins employees. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. Perkins School for the Blind strives to protect your information, however, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
Our site contains links to other websites which have information and services that may be helpful. Please visit our statement on outside links for more information.
If you find you still have questions after reading through this policy, please email us.